The cure of every deficiency and fault must, no doubt, consist of reliance on Allaah the Exalted,
seeking His Help, turning to Him the Exalted through supplication, and afterwards, one must
turn to utilizing other cures, such as:
• Knowing the virtue of knowledge, the nobility of its people, and clarifying the importance of
reading. This is one of the main means of attaining it and getting to know of the status and
blessing of the books of religious sciences. This is through various means and pulpits, such as
the Jumu`ah sermons, lectures, books, and articles.
Some of the benefits of reading that are mentioned to encourage one to read are:
• Learning religious sciences, on which, the validity of actions revolve. Also, putting out
ignorance that is a cause for censuring, falling into prohibitions, and incurring the anger of
Allaah the Exalted. So, knowledge is life and light, while ignorance is death and darkness.
• Finding solace in the Speech of Allaah the Exalted, the Speech of His prophets, and the
statements of the scholars.
• Getting to know various aspects of wisdom and causes of rulings in this legislation, something
that helps a person remain steadfast on their religion.
• Saving time and filling it with beneficial things.
• Preventing a person from having bad companions that waste time.
Urging and encouraging people to read, and this is through:
• Establishing book fairs. Westerners have discovered the importance of these ideas, causing
them to host events like book weeks, writers’ clubs, and writers unions. No doubt, we are more
worthy of every lawful idea that encourages reading. Audio-visual means should be utilized and
one should benefit from the various media and means of communication in urging people to
• Organizing lectures about reading, and adding sections that are methodical in schools,
universities, as well as specific courses for reading, as much as possible.
• Raising kids from a young age to love reading and books by encouraging them monetarily
through prizes or giving them moral support through encouragement and picking books that the
child is interested in, that consist of subjects that are suitable, use fictional style, have easy
phrases, attractive colors, large letters, and while reading sentence by sentence. Also, some of
their allowance should be saved to buy books. Besides, one should guide the child to care for
and preserve their books. One must beware of superstitious stories that frighten the child and
corrupt their imagination. One must be keen on acquiring stories that speak of the biographies
of the greats and the heroes of this Ummah, such as the Sahaabah, scholars, and generals, in
order to build a model that the child emulates.
• Opening a section of the home as a library in an organized and elegant manner.
• Holding competitions with the goal of encouraging people to read, conduct research, and so
• Giving books as gifts on various occasions, such as marriages, `Aqeeqah, `Eed, and so forth.
• Publishing books and distributing them at affordable prices, as well as breaking the greed and
monopoly in the trade. Also, one should strive, through good doers, to release publications that
are specifically meant to be given as gifts and distributed for charity purposes to people, or
selling at the cost price, or at a price close to that, while exchanging gifts among people. Also,
providing mailing facilities that deliver the book by mail to readers in distant or remote areas, as
well as benefitting from the idea of mobile libraries.
• Reading books in stages. This is very important, to the point that success or lack thereof in
reading almost revolves completely around this.
Latest from umme huraira
- 18.Patience and loving Allâh [Patience and gratitude-Imaam Ibn Qayyim al jawziyyah
- 17.Patience is half of Îmân [Patience and gratitude-Imaam Ibn Qayyim al jawziyyah]
- 16. Patience at the time of bereavement [Patience and gratitude-Imaam Ibn Qayyim al jawziyyah]
- 15.Sahâbah on the virtues of patience [Patience and gratitude-Imaam Ibn Qayyim al jawziyyah]
- 14.Ahâdîth about patience [Patience and gratitude-Imaam Ibn Qayyim al jawziyyah]